Tom RuBane is of counsel to Newburn Law. He was first licensed as an attorney in Texas, in 2006. His practice initially focused on natural resources and energy law, an area in which he gained substantial experience and respect. In 2018, he transitioned his practice to estate planning. Although he enjoyed practicing in the natural resources area, working for corporate clients, Tom finds his estate planning practice more fulfilling because of its focus on helping individuals and families.
Tom's philosophy regarding estate planning is that everyone needs an estate plan. When his sister died unexpectedly at the age of 49 she did not have a will in place. His experience administering her estate without a will – a years-long process – was a lesson in the many frustrations and challenges of handling an intestate estate. In his view, creating an estate plan ensures not only that the client's wishes are followed but also provides an invaluable gift to the client's family and loved ones, allowing them to administer the estate as easily as possible during a time of grief and mourning.
Born on the Island of Galveston, Texas, Tom has been practicing in Colorado since 2011. He holds a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Oklahoma College of Law and earned his Bachelor of Arts from the University of North Texas, majoring in German and minoring in Spanish.
Tom's goal is to use his extensive experience and compassionate approach to assist clients of all backgrounds in preparing an estate plan tailored to their unique needs.
- Will-based Estate Plans: Providing services for individuals and couples to create clear and legally sound wills and associated documents, including powers of attorney, living wills (advance medical directives), and guardianship papers for minor children.
- Trust-Based Estate Plans: Offering comprehensive trust solutions to meet a variety of estate planning needs.
- Generational Wealth Planning: Focused planning for clients with substantial assets and generational wealth, ensuring their legacy is preserved and passed on effectively.
- Medicaid Planning: Strategic assistance to ensure eligibility for Medicaid benefits while preserving assets.
- Asset Protection: Providing advice and strategies to protect clients' assets from potential future liabilities.
- Agricultural Estate Planning: Tailored planning for clients with farms and ranches, focusing on succession, tax implications, and preservation of agricultural legacies.
- Planning for Mineral Rights: Offering services for the management and transfer of oil, gas, and mineral rights, including royalties and leasehold interests.
- Charitable Giving: Assisting clients in incorporating philanthropy into their estate plans.
- Pet Trusts: Creating trusts for the continued care and support of clients' pets.
- Gun Trusts: Guidance in establishing gun trusts for the lawful transfer and ownership of firearms, in compliance with federal and state laws.